Program Goals Statement
The Human Services program attracts a diverse student population who share a common desire to work with and help people. The Human Services program provides the academic coursework and field experience for successful, entry-level careers in human services, as well as a strong foundation for transfer to colleges and universities with bachelor's programs in social work, human services or other related majors. Combining coursework in general education, natural sciences, social sciences and humanities with human services courses, students gain knowledge of the field and develop professional skills and engage in learning opportunities to help them develop as multi-culturally competent and ethical practitioners. Graduates are trained as generalists to work with communities, families, seniors, adults, adolescents and children in a variety of settings with a commitment to social justice. This program has been developed to align with the Mass Transfer Human Services to Social Work Pathway.
• The Human Services program is fully available at the Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford and Taunton campuses. Many courses are also available online.
• SER 291 includes a 150 hour supervised agency internship that places special time demands on students and is ideally taken in the last year of study.
• A criminal background check (CORI and/or SORI) and/or drug test may be required by and at the discretion of the field experience host location prior to participation in the field experience. Faculty will work individually with students to select the best field experience for each student's background, but please know placement sites may be limited.
• Recommend BIO 110 or BIO 117 for Science elective
• A certificate in Substance Abuse Counseling and/or Deaf Studies will enrich career preparation. Students should consult with the program director to select appropriate electives.
• The most popular transfer choices include Bachelor of Social Work programs at Bridgewater State University, Rhode Island College, or Fitchburg State University and sociology or psychology at UMass Dartmouth.
• Work with the program director early to select courses to maximize transfer possibilities.
Infused General Education Competencies
Oral Communication, Technical Literacy
MassTransfer A2B Pathway
The Human Services program is a MassTransfer A2B Mapped Program with some Massachusetts State Universities. When choosing electives, complete an A2B Program Search to determine available transfer institutions and to ensure all credits will be transferred and applied to your degree.