PSY 255 : Abnormal Psychology
This course focuses on a wide range of ways in which personality may become disordered. Emphasis is placed on normal human development as highlighted by psychopathology and on problems of treatment. Three lecture hours per week. Fall, Spring
- Demonstrate an increased awareness of how to discriminate between “normal” behavioral functioning from “maladaptive” functioning.
- Summarize methods that are used to classify and assess psychological disorders.
- Distinguish between the major psychological disorders and their diagnostic criteria.
- Differentiate between the main theoretical perspectives within the field and their approach to etiology and treatment.
- Understand the unique problems facing individuals with various mental health issues and think critically about the sociological, economical and cultural ramifications of psychopathology.