Early Childhood Licensure
Program Goals Statement
The Early Childhood Education Licensure Transfer program enrolls individuals aspiring to become educators of preschool, kindergarten, grade 1, and grade 2 children. Successful candidates may apply for preschool lead teacher certification from the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Child Care, provided a teaching practicum has been complete in a pre-k or kindergarten classroom, and are eligible for transfer into the Massachusetts Educator Licensure program at a four-year transfer as juniors into Massachusetts Educator Licensure program at a 4-year state or private institution with which the College has an articulation agreement.
• ECE 260 requires completion of 26 general education credits with an overall GPA of 2.75 or better and a grade of "C" or better in all ECE courses.
• Semester prior to enrolling in early Childhood Licensure Teaching Practicum students must meet with the Program Coordinator to ensure placement in the field at a public elementary school
• Bristol participates in the statewide MassTransfer program and has developed many program-to-program transfer articulation agreements which guarantee admission and credit transfer.
•For a complete listing of eligible MassTransfer programs and current Bristol articulation agreements, visit the Transfer Affairs website.
Infused General Education Competencies
Ethical Dimensions, Oral Communication, Technical Literacy
Special Requirements for the Program
• Accepted applicants must have a physical examination, tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella, and hepatitis B immunizations or titres (blood tests to prove immunity). TB test required each year. Health insurance is required.
Criminal Record Check
• C.O.R.I. (Criminal Offender Record Information) and S.O.R.I. (Sexual Offender Registry Information) background checks are required prior to clinical placement and are conducted in accordance with State regulations by both Bristol Community College and early child care agencies/elementary schools. Students may be required to complete fingerprinting and would be financially responsible for any costs associated with fingerprinting.
• During this program, which requires a Teaching Practicum experience, Early Childhood students should be aware that young children are physically very active. Students must be able to move quickly and have sufficient visual and hearing acuity to accurately monitor children in their charge.
• Transportation to fieldwork sites is the responsibility of the student. Students should be prepared to travel up to an hour from campus for these assignments.
• Prior to acceptance into a teacher education licensure program, students who opt for this track need to pass the Communications and Literacy Skills Test (CLST) of the Massachusetts Teacher Education Licensure (MTEL) conducted by the Department of Education. In addition, state colleges may set other requirements such as minimum acceptable grade(s) and/or courses accepted for transfer. It is the student's responsibility to identify these requirements.