Portuguese/English Community Interpreting
Program Goals Statement
This certificate prepares bilingual students to work as interpreters in a variety of community settings. Students develop specialized vocabulary and communication skills and learn the standards and practices of professional interpreters and translators.
- Interpreters are required to demonstrate written and oral fluency in both English and Portuguese.
- ENG 101 is a co-requisite to HUM 156.
- Students with prior experience as interpreters should consult with the program director or PEL Coordinator to discuss Prior Experiential Learning (PEL) credits.
- Students with a bachelor’s degree can prepare to take the Office of Court Interpreter Services (OCIS) certification exam.
- The program follows Massachusetts Medical Interpreters Association (MMIA) guidelines.