POR 352 : Written and Sight Translation for English and Portuguese
This course focuses on the theory, process, and techniques of written and sight translation. Students engage in a variety of hands-on experiences with translation and editing. Materials may include government and other agency forms such as applications; reports; certificates; and school, social service, and medical documents. The course prepares students for practical, community-based translations. Students review the English and Portuguese skills necessary to produce clear and polished written and sight translations. Prerequisite: HUM 156. Three lecture hours per week. 3 credits Fall, Spring
- Apply professional standards for translations.
- Practice norms and guidelines from state agencies and professional organizations.
- Produce clear and polished written translation of all sorts of documents from the medical and legal fields (reports, documents from the Social Services ; medical follow-up instructions; medical forms, etc.).
- Engage in translation sub-skills, such as revising and editing.
- Translate common mainstream/community documents (forms, birth certificates, questionnaires, etc.).