English/Portuguese Community Interpreting Certificate
Program Goals Statement
This certificate prepares bilingual students to work as interpreters in a variety of community settings. Students develop specialized vocabulary and communication skills and learn the standards and practices of professional interpreters and translators.
- Interpreters are required to demonstrate written and oral fluency in both English and Portuguese.
- ENG 101 is a co-requisite to HUM 156.
- Students with prior experience as interpreters should consult with the program director or PEL Coordinator to discuss Prior Experiential Learning (PEL) credits.
All courses may be applied to an Associate in Science in General Studies, Humanities and Arts Studies.
- Students with a bachelor’s degree can prepare to take the Office of Court Interpreter Services (OCIS) certification exam.
- The program follows Massachusetts Medical Interpreters Association (MMIA) guidelines.