Paralegal Studies Certificate
Program Goals Statement
The Paralegal Studies certificate provides a career concentration in one of the fastest growing professions in America. Students have an opportunity to explore the field of law and gain marketable skills to perform a wide range of supportive legal functions. Please note that a Certificate or Degree in Paralegal Studies does not enable a person to practice law, represent clients in court or give legal advice; only licensed attorneys can perform these functions.
Upon completion of the program our graduates will be able to:
- Understand the legal process and fundamental concepts of substantive areas of law
- Identify and manage resolution of practical ethical dilemmas commonly encountered by working paralegals.
- Manage modern law offices through the use of technology and robust time management skills
- Develop the skills to perform effective research and to prepare draft legal documents, including various memoranda and court-related correspondence, pleadings and forms
- Acquire basic understanding of substantive and procedural areas of law for a variety of legal settings.
- Acquire basic skills in legal research.
- Gain work experience by selecting PLS 243- Paralegal Internship, which places students in legal positions related to their academic program and career goal.
- Courses are offered day and evening.
- Some courses are offered online.
- PLS courses are taught by licensed attorneys with J.D.s from ABA - accredited Law Schools.
- All credits may be applied to an associate’s degree in Paralegal Studies.
- Paralegal Studies degree
- Legal Administrative Assistant degree
- Legal Office Assistant certificate
- Employment in a variety of legal settings including law firms, corporate law departments, financial institutions, government agencies, or courts.
- Some graduates continue their education in advanced paralegal studies or pursue law degrees.