MAA 205 : Medical Office Procedures
This course emphasizes the duties required of a medical administrative assistant in an office setting. Students develop critical thinking skills through practice with interactive software, appointment scheduling software, index and filing, office finances, and telephone techniques. The course emphasizes medical standards, medical ethics, and medical law. Students also participate in a job shadow experience. Prerequisite: OFC 113 with a grade of C or better or permission of the instructor. Three lecture hours per week. Instructional Support Fee applies.
- Demonstrate the ability to meet deadlines in the e-Learning platform of this hybrid, distance learning course.
- Accurately complete insurance forms for a patient’s medical record.
- Demonstrate effectively how to complete over 40 insurance forms for prompt payment.
- Effectively demonstrate how to work in a “paperless” medical facility utilizing medical software (Medisoft) for all office tasks.
- Correctly navigating through the ICD and CPT reference books for patient diagnoses.
- Examine (in depth) the aspects of Workers’ Compensation, Medicare, and Medicaid.
- Compare and contrast medical office journal articles to lecture topics discussed in class.
- Effectively subscribe to the standard medical Code of Ethics.