MAA 205 : Medical Office Procedures
This capstone course emphasizes the duties of a medical administrative assistant in an office setting. Students learn about the various scheduling options, basic rules of index and filing, create patient correspondences, master bookkeeping functions, purchase supplies, maintain a petty cash fund, billing and collection strategies, and practice proper telephone techniques. This course also emphasizes HIPAA standards, medical office management tools, medical ethics, and medical law. Students also participate in a job shadow experience. Three lecture hours per week. Spring
OFC 113 with a grade of C or better or permission of the instructor.
- Demonstrate the ability to meet deadlines in the e-Learning platform of this hybrid, distance learning course.
- Accurately complete insurance forms for a patient’s medical record.
- Demonstrate effectively how to complete over 40 insurance forms for prompt payment.
- Effectively demonstrate how to work in a “paperless” medical facility utilizing medical software (Medisoft) for all office tasks.
- Correctly navigating through the ICD and CPT reference books for patient diagnoses.
- Examine (in depth) the aspects of Workers’ Compensation, Medicare, and Medicaid.
- Compare and contrast medical office journal articles to lecture topics discussed in class.
- Effectively subscribe to the standard medical Code of Ethics.
- Accurately implement the role of the medical administrative professional in a medical setting.