MTH 244 : Discrete Structures II
This is a continuation of MTH 243, Discrete Structures I. Topics include: advanced counting problems; relations; graph theory; Boolean algebra; and languages and grammars. Prerequisite(s): a grade of C- or higher in MTH 243. Three lecture hours per week.
- Solve basic counting problems, including those using the Pigeonhole Principle.
- Work with permutations, combinations and manipulate various binomial identities.
- Understand the inclusion-exclusion principle and apply it to real-world problems.
- Gain knowledge in the basic understanding of relations.
- Develop an understanding of graph theory including directed and undirected graphs as well as trees and their applications to computer science.