HOS 121 : Introduction to Travel, Tourism and Hospitality
This course will be taught in three different modules to expose students to the concentration areas of travel, tourism and hospitality. The focus of this course will be introductory in nature. It will provide students with an understanding of how people use their free time, what reasons prompt them to travel and the value they expect from their travel dollar. Each module will provide students with an overview of the specific area of study with an emphasis on industry trends and future developments, terminology and an understanding of interrelationships of the three. Three lecture hours per week. Fall
- Describe the economic size of the tourism, travel and hospitality industries.
- Explain how the tourism industry is organized.
- Describe the importance of implementing sustainability practices in the tourism industry.
- Explain the importance of having an inventory of a community's tourism resources.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the differences between high and low value tourism to a community.
- Enter a Destination Management Organization as tourism support staff.
- Apply current technology and social media.