SPA 101 : Elementary Spanish I
This course offers beginning training in the four skills: reading, writing, speaking and aural comprehension. An introduction to Hispanic culture is included. One hour of laboratory practice is required. Only for students with no language background or one to two years of high school Spanish with a C average. Students with an A or B average are encouraged to enroll in the 102 level. Three lecture hours and one language laboratory hour per week. Instructional Support Fee applies. Gen. Ed. Competencies Met: Human Expression.
- Read, write and orally reproduce the basic alphabetical sounds of the Spanish Language.
- Initiate, minimally sustain, and close simple, basic communicative tasks, limited to greetings, introductions, numbers, requesting information, time, classroom items, nationalities, place of origin, and foods.
- Use the appropriate basic grammatical structures associated with classroom, invitations, requests, thanking people, expressing needs, likes, and dislikes, describing people, animals and things, expressing possession, expressing obligation, describing routine activities, expressing preferences and feelings.
- Read simple authentic texts and discuss their content.
- Write small passages using acquired vocabulary and grammatical structures.
- Recognize names and other identification features of the Spanish speaking countries.