MTH 115 : Culinary Math
This course is aimed at Culinary Arts students and provides the mathematical tools necessary for solving problems encountered in the modern kitchen. Topics include: recipe scaling including measurement conversions, percentages as they relate to as-purchased, edible-portion, and yield, and calculations as they relate to menu costs and pricing, profit and loss, payroll and taxes. Competency Met: Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning(4.0) - Culinary Arts only. Three lecture hours per week. Fall, Spring
- Upon successful completion of this course students should be able to:
- Scale a recipe, including any unit conversions and other scaling considerations.
- Calculate costs-as purchased, edible portion, etc., menu pricing using perceived value pricing and contribution margin pricing.
- Calculate revenue and expenses including sales tax, guest check totals, gratuities, discounts, and calculate payroll expenses.
- Analyze profit and loss including percent increase and decrease, gross and net profit, and break-even point.