HST 254 : Twentieth Century Russian and Soviet History
A survey of Russian, Soviet and post-Soviet political, social, economic and intellectual history from 1890 to the present. Emphasis is placed on the legacy and traditions of the Czarist Empire, on the development of Russian Marxism, on the origins, course and affect of the Bolshevik (communist) Revolution and on the major changes within the former Soviet Union since 1991. Three lecture hours per week. Competency met: Humanities (6.0) Fall
- Read, interpret, and evaluate a variety of historical materials to assess varying perspectives.
- Analyze and evaluate the impact of religious, intellectual, and cultural movements in Russia and the Soviet Union in the 20th Century.
- Recognize and analyze the influence of complex and diverse cultures within Russia and the Soviet Union.
- Describe the importance of geography to the history of Russia and the Soviet Union.
- Explain the development and transformation of the Soviet economy.