FIR 113 : Fundamentals of Fire Prevention
This course provides fundamental knowledge relating to the field of fire prevention. Topics include; history and philosophy of fire prevention; organization and operation of a fire prevention bureau; use and application of codes and standards; plans review; fire inspections; fire and life safety education; and fire investigation. Fall, Spring (FESHE Approved)
- Define national fire problem and the role of fire prevention.
- Identify and describe fire prevention organizations and associations.
- Define laws, rules, regulations, and codes and identify those relevant to fire prevention of the “authority having jurisdiction”.
- Define the functions of a fire prevention bureau.
- Describe inspection practices and procedures.
- Identify and describe the standards for professional qualifications for Fire Marshal, Plans Examiner, Fire Inspector, Fire and Life Safety Educator and Fire Investigator.
- List opportunities in professional development for fire prevention personnel.
- Describe the history and philosophy of fire prevention.