ENG 233 : Beginning Poetry Writing
This course provides students with an introduction to the craft of poetry via intense practice in writing original poetry and in analyzing poetic techniques employed by traditional and contemporary poets. Three lecture hours per week. Competency met: Humanities (6.0) Spring
ENG 102 or permission of instructor.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Develop their own creative writing process and poetic voice.
- Analyze poetic genres (such as the haiku and sonnet) and techniques (such as imagery, rhyme, and meter).
- Employ poetic genres and techniques in their own writing.
- Revise their poetry through critique and the workshop process.
- Create a portfolio of revised original work that would be suitable for submission to literary publications.