COM 113 : Interpersonal Speech
The study of speaking and listening as it involves spoken language, nonverbal communication and feelings, specifically within interpersonal and small group settings. Pre or co-requisite: ENG 101. Three lecture hours per week. Gen. Ed. Competencies Met: Human Expression and Oral Communication. Oral Communication - Early Childhood, Elementary Education, and Human Services only.
- Define interpersonal communication.
- Explain fundamental theoretical communication concepts related to human communication.
- Encode and decode verbal and nonverbal messages in order to increase shared meaning.
- Identify and apply effective listening skills.
- Explain ethical issues related to interpersonal communication and create strategies to help address some of those issues.
- Cultivate self-awareness and monitor self within interpersonal relationships.