Starting your journey

Right from the beginning, Bristol is here to help you adjust to life as a college student. You can find all these services in the Enrollment Center in the Commonwealth College Center, Fall River Campus. The Enrollment Center provides registration and enrollment-related services for credit and noncredit enrollment. The Enrollment Center processes all registrations, course change forms, program changes, enrollment verifications, transcript requests, college withdrawals, and tuition waiver requests. Applications for admission to the College and financial aid may also be obtained through the Enrollment Center. Enrollment Services are also available at the Attleboro Campus, New Bedford Campus and Taunton Center.


You start with Admissions, where you can get help in selecting an appropriate program. Our Admissions team works with you to evaluate your interests and educational experience. If you need preliminary courses before enrolling in a program, we will make recommendations for taking them. (Contact Admissions for detailed information.)

Financial Aid

The Financial Aid office provides assistance for all students in covering the cost of college. Staff members will help you file appropriate forms and direct you to alternative funding sources, including scholarships and loans. (You will find more details in the Financial Aid section.)

Testing Center

The Testing Center oversees placement testing, Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS), College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP), and the Massachusetts high school equivalency tests. All students entering a degree or certificate program are required by the Department of Higher Education to take placement tests to ensure appropriate placement in classes. The tests assess students’ skill levels in reading, writing, and mathematics. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with academic background information, are used by Advising to assist you with course selection. Bristol is an approved testing site for the Massachusetts high school equivalency test.

Student Health Insurance

By Massachusetts law, all residents are required to have health insurance. Only students enrolled in nine or more credits purchase the student health insurance through the College. The coverage may be waived only if comparable health insurance coverage can be demonstrated and a student health insurance waiver form is on file in the Student Accounts office before school begins. All students enrolled in any health science or early childhood education must carry health insurance. Brochures and ID cards may be obtained in the Student Accounts office, Health Services (G200), or by accessing

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires

• All full-time (12 credits), some part-time and all students on a visa or exchange program to present proof of vaccinations. 

• All students with 9 or more credits to show proof of health insurance or participate in the student health insurance program. 

• Parental consent for medical treatment if under 18 years of age. For information, call ext. 2232 or visit Health Services in G200. 

Tobacco Free

As of Summer 2010, tobacco use is not permitted on any Bristol Community College campus or site.

New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation is offered before the semester begins and gives new and transfer students an opportunity to learn about all the support services available to them as a new Bayhawk.  Visit to get started.

Academic Advising

Before you start your first semester, you will meet with an advisor to plan your first semester’s schedule. The advisor will ask questions about your future plans, interpret your Accuplacer placement test scores, or credits transferred from another accredited college to create your class schedule.

If you are in a degree program and taking more credits in the daytime, you will be assigned an advisor to advise you before registration each semester. Students are assigned advisors based on academic program and the advisor’s specialty. In some instances, students are assigned to a staff member in the Advisement Center.

At most times of the year, walk-in advisement is available. For more information, contact ext. 2777. For Attleboro, call ext. 3527, for New Bedford, call ext. 4000, for Taunton satellite, call ext. 3767.

Advisors assist students with short-term academic planning (course selection) as well as long term plans most often related to a student’s career and/or transfer goal. Additionally, advisors assist students in learning about the numerous student services on campus such as academic tutoring, co-op experiences, career planning, transfer advising, and job placement.