LSM 241 : Legal and Ethical Aspects of Sport
This course provides an analysis of the legal and ethical aspects of the sport environment. Topics discussed include negligence; liability; control of amateur, professional, and school sport; violence/crowd control; product liability; risk management; and selected current issues. Prerequisites: LSM 101 and LSM 231, or permission of instructor. Three lecture hours per week. Gen. Ed. Competencies Met: Ethical Dimensions.
- Discuss legal issues and statutory regulations impacting the sport industry.
- Examine the process of ethical decision-making related to sport.
- Apply the code of ethics, philosophy, principles, and values that provide the cornerstone of the sport and recreation profession.
- Discuss tort law and its application to the sport and leisure industry.
- Examine potential liability for injuries in the supervision, management, and conduct of sport and leisure activities and propose strategies for limiting liability.