This course emphasizes the administrative duties of the legal administrative assistant. Topics cover professional certification, ethics, oral and written communication, using the Internet for research, working with office equipment and basic office functions of answering the telephone, handling mail, filing, calendaring, and keeping financial records. Microsoft Outlook and Excel are used to develop core-level competencies and prepare the student to take the Microsoft Office Outlook and Excel Specialist certificate exams. Three lecture hours per week. Spring
- Students will be able to:
- Talk in general about professional associations to which they might belong and to be specifically aware of the advantages of membership in NALS—the association for legal professionals
- Understand the process for seeking ALS, PLS, and/or PP certification – professional certifications offered through NALS for basic certification [ALS], advanced certification [PLS], or professional paralegal certification [PP].
- Perform legal office functions, i.e., receptionist duties, mail, telephone, scheduling appointments, calendaring, copying, faxing, e-mailing, preparing letters and memos, etc.
- Understand the ethical standards required by the legal profession and be able to apply them within the work setting
- Use Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Excel in performing legal office functions